36th International Festival of New Latin American Cinema, Havana
Cuba, December 4 - December 14 2014
The 36th International Festival of New Latin American Cinema was held in Havana, Cuba, between December 4 to 14th, 2014. The Festival promotes and awards those works whose significance and artistic values contribute to, enrich and reaffirm Latin American and Caribbean cultural identity.
Besides that, the programme includes a showcase of contemporary world cinema, the Industry Sector initiatives, as well as meetings and seminars on issues of cultural interest, especially cinematic interest.
The following sections make up the Festival’s programme:
OFFICIAL SECTION IN COMPETITION The annual competition for the CORAL awards showcases a selection of the most recent Latin American and Caribbean productions. The competition includes fiction, documentary and animation films, as well as unproduced scripts and posters. Fiction features by first-time Latin American and Caribbean filmmakers compete separately for the Opera Prima CORAL Awards.
LATIN AMERICA IN PERSPECTIVE An all-encompassing panorama of Latin American production, which complements the official in-competition selection. It consists of a series of thematic programs dealing with historical memory, social struggles, emigration, the politics of diversity, music and art in Latin America, films for children and adolescents, as well as a wide spectrum of cinematic genres and approaches spanning the fantastic and horror cinema to the poetics of avant-garde.
OTHER LATITUDES includes
– Showcases Focused in national cinemas, trends in contemporary moviemaking and the output of film schools and institutions. These programs will be presented independently throughout the year as part of the annual calendar of activities scheduled by the Festival.
– Contemporary World Panorama A showcase of the most outstanding and representative titles in recent cinema.
– Documentary Panorama Makes way for the ascending prestige, diversity and presence achieved by documentary filmmaking.
AROUND THE FESTIVAL includes
– Tributes Devoted to outstanding personalities of cinema and culture.
– Retrospectives Dedicated to prominent figures and movements in film history.
– Special Presentations Screenings of films which hold particular relevance in the context of the Festival.
– Seminars Theoretical forums open to a range of issues on culture and cinema.
– Other Activities Exhibitions, concerts, as well as launching of books and magazines.
Calls for the competition for the ALBA Cultural Postproduction Award “Our America First Copy” and programs a series of initiatives intended for professionals in filmmaking, production and distribution which include workshops, seminars, lectures and master classes. (Furio Fossati)
International Festival of New Latin American Cinema, Havana: