17th Palm Springs International Film Festival
USA, January 5 - January 16 2006
- Traps and Tribulations in the Oscar Game By Robert Koehler by Robert Koehler
- A Life in Water By Henrik Uth Jensen by Henrik Uth Jensen
- Into the (real) Heart of Darkness By Gideon Kouts by Gideon Kouts
- Actresses, Parts and Bullies: How to win a performance award in Palm Springs By C.S. Roy by Charles-Stéphane Roy
- Actresses and Genres: The Victory of Meltem Cumbul By Kirill Razlogov by Kirill Razlogov
In the framework of the Palm Springs festival (USA, January 5-16, 2006), our jury reviewed the official Best Foreign Language submissions to the Academy Awards and presented the “FIPRESCI Award for Best Foreign Language Film of the Year 2005” to Buffalo Boy (Mua Len Trau), the submission from Vietnam (2005). Director Minh Nguyen-Vo’s feature debut is a coming-of-age journey through French Indochina shortly before World War II. A teenaged boy transports his family’s buffalos to greener pastures during the seasonal floods and discovers the joys and challenges of masculine ritual.
Ion Fiscuteanu received the “FIPRESCI Award Best Actor” for his performance in The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Moartea Domnului Lazarescu, Romania) directed by Cristi Puiu.
Meltem Cumbul received the “FIPRESCI Award Best Actress” for her performance in Lovelorn (Gönül Yarasi, Turkey) directed by Yavuz Turgul.