53rd San Sebastian International Film Festival
Spain, September 15 - September 24 2005
- Terry Gilliam's "Tideland": Alice in "Nightmareland" By Sergi Sánchez by Sergi Sanchez
- Good Times: Spanish and Latin American Films By Wolfgang Martin Hamdorf by Wolfgang Hamdorf
- A French Affair By Julio Feo Zarandieta by Julio Feo Zarandieta
- New Dramatic Structures By Andrei Plakhov by Andrei Plakhov
- "Gravehopping": One Foot in the Grave By Massimo Causo by Massimo Causo
The Basque city of Donostia — San Sebastian hosts one of the major European festivals, known for its interest in the cinemas of the Spanish-Portuguese world, and for its wonderful retrospectives (this year dedicated to Robert Wise, to Abel Ferrara, and to the theme “Rebellious and Untamed”). The festival hosts our “Grand Prix”, which was, at the opening ceremony, presented to the Korean filmmaker Kim Ki-duk arrow. Our jury focused on the international competition and found Terry Gilliam’s Tideland to be the best film of the selection — a decision which provoked controversial reactions.