34th Istanbul Film Festival
Turkey, April 4 - April 19 2015
- Triumph of Vigor: "Itsi Bitsi" by Alexander Grozev
- The New Turkish Cinema: Authors and Identities by Giovanni Ottone
- Show And Tell by Sasja Koetsier
- A Brief History of Censorship of the Cinema of Turkey by Senay Aydemir
- The Unemployed Get Restless, Possibly Mutinous by Antti Selkokari
- Is Free Cinema Possible in Turkey Today? by Senem Erdine
The 34th annual Istanbul Film Festival cancelled all of its film competitions at the behest of the various juries, given the extraordinary circumstances at the film festival this year. The festival was forced to withdraw a programmed screening of a Kurdish documentary, “Bakur” (North, Çayan Demirel and Ertugrul Mavioglu, 2015) from the festival, which resulted in all of the domestic competition films except for two being pulled from the festival by the filmmakers. The international and the national competitions were cancelled, all juries laid down their work, including the FIPRESCI jury. Consequently, the closing ceremony did not take place.
For details, see www.fipresci.org/news/istanbul-cancels-competitions
Photo: The FIPRESCI Jury which was no jury. From left: Senay Aydemir, Turkey; Giovanni Ottone, Italy; Sasja Koetsier, The Netherlands; Alexander Grozev, Bulgaria; Senem Erdine, Turkey; and Antti Selkokari, Finland.