55th San Sebastian International Film Festival
Spain, September 20 - September 29 2007
- "Encarnación": The After Life of a Starlet By Diego Lerer by Diego Lerer
- Two Wayne Wang Films Faces of China By Wendy Ide by Wendy Ide
- "The House": Silence Talks By Jeanette Gentele by Jeanette Gentele
- Crime Scene in San Sebastian: How Do We Investigate the War? By Esin Küçüktepepinar by Esin Kücüktepepinar
- Retrospective Philippe Garrel "Art is a Spiritual Guide for Life" By Imma Merino by Imma Merino Serrats
The 55th edition of this major European event featured a well-composed competition (Nick Broomfield, Hans Weingärtner, John Sayles, Manuel Poirier, Iciar Bollain, Wayne Wang) and an attractive overview on worldwide independent cinema (“Zabaltegi”). In the “Horizontes Latinos” section, it underlined its particular interest in Latin American cinemas. This year’s retrospective was dedicated to Henry King (1886-1982), one of the pioneers of early Hollywood.
The young Argentinean filmmaker Anahí Berneri had reveived the Critic’s Prize already for her first film A Year Without Love (Mar del Plata, 2005 arrow.). Now, her second feature was awarded in San Sebastian: Encarnación, about an aging actress and her ups and downs. Silvia Pérez portrays this character as a wonderfully independent woman who embodies the opposite of what is expected of women in her society.